Oman. Emirates. Practical tips low cost.
Muscat, Oman was a forced stop of our trip to Sri Lanka. A discovery: a pleasant stop forced.
- To see the city of Muscat and monuments used public taxis. Negotiate the price at first and always choose them moving away a little from your hotel (especially if it is very nice).
Boat and cruise
- Boat Tour is a must. Oman is not just Muscat. At the harbor there are many companies that offer various options (prices are shown but you don’t forgot to negotiate). Beautiful sea, nature, dolphins, turtles, …
- From the harbour of Muscat also leave many luxury cruises of all prices.
- ou don’t need a guide or an accompanist to move. Muscat is a city very clean, new and in booming economy. The fuel costs a few tens of Euros and therefore the prices on site are relatively small (especially when compared to neighboring Dubai).
- Many agencies around the city of Muscat offering excursions by 4×4 in the desert with endless possibilities. Negotiate before all paying close attention to what is included and what is not (especially drinks).
Visit Muscat: the souk
- The souks of Muscat is a very quiet place and secure. Let taxi and go around by yourself (to avoid that your purchases will be added to the percentage paid to your guide.) Impossible not to buy some incense.
- The currency is the Rial, but the Euros are accepted everywhere. Pay attention to change.
- The highways are new and huge. Without pay toll.
- L’Oman is a sultanate.
- The people are friendly and helpful.
- Directions driving are always in both Arabic and English.
- Update of November 2012, the period of our trip.